Sunday, December 21, 2008

Blizzard of '08?

I'm sticking to it: it's good to be back in RI. But 14 inches of snow? C'mon. I hope everyone is taking the snow in stride, and catching up on some reading. I am hooked on East of Eden by John Steinbeck. While working on trails in the desert we lived very close to Salinas, where Steinbeck grew up. I could not imagine farming this land! We learned that people needed to farm thousands of acres just to scrape by. A beautiful spot, and lots of neat birds, but the lands is bone dry.



This week me and mom took a ride to the Wintertime Farmer's Market in Pawtucket, RI. What a great time. The market is held in an old mill building and has vendors from RI and MA.



We picked up some fresh spinach, cheese from 'Gansett, and a pound of coffee (shade grown for the birds) that was roasted in the same warehouse. While at the market, aside from chatting with lots of interesting people, I learned of a new food co-op going up in the west end of Providence. I am excited to get involved! Here's a flyer for the farmers market.




Recently, I've taken a couple of trips to Boston to visit some old BU friends. A couple of weekends ago a few of us braved the cold to run in the 2nd annual Jingle Bell Run 5k. I won't lie, I've hiked around lots of California, but taking it from hiking pace to running wasn't as smooth a transition as it was in highschool. My old roomie Mark Foelster made it look too easy! The important thing: regardless of our finishing time, we all got sweet medals.


I hope everyone is staying warm and well during the snow. And if you are in warmer climates send some of it up this way.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck in NC, Rob! Send pics. We'll be thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's some warm love from Florida. Love Auntie Peg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a couple of things to remember while you're in NC:

    The pleural of "you" is "youins"

    A group of friends is "y'all"

    The creatures you're studying are called "snacks"

    ReplyDelete