Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bird Banders Head to the OBX


This week, the old Nissan (seen in the background) proved to be a very seaworthy vessel as the other bird banders and I spent some time in the Outer Banks. Our trip started with a ferry ride to a southern point on the Outer Banks called Ocracoke. It's a quaint town that reminds me of neighborhoods in Martha's Vineyard. We visited a maritime forest that had Live Oaks, which are the same great looking trees I saw on Cumberland Island in Georgia (see pic of Live Oak below).

Then we traveled north to Nags Head and roamed around a deserted beach looking for birds out at sea. We saw Gannets and Red-breasted Mergansers not very far off shore, and enjoyed a surprisingly wind-less afternoon for the OBX. The next day we were kept indoors by lots of rain, but that didn't stop us from enjoying our mini-vacation. Matt's friend Catherine works at the North Carolina Aquarium in Manteo. We were in for a treat because she gave us a full tour of the place and the inside scoop on the fish, sharks and turtles there.


Back in Hyde County, NC, work has been going great. We're banding lots of Swamp Sparrows and I'm thoroughly enjoying each and every day of working with these folks and keeping track of the birds. I have a couple more Hyde County wildlife pics here. Above is a Carolina Wren. They're great looking birds, with that very white eyeline. Their call can be heard every morning... it's a "teakettle tea-kettle teakettle" or so they say. This guy below is the Carolina Anole. The only anole native to the US, and we just found him in our backyard!


We've almost reached a pretty great fundraising goal for Bike and Build, and I'll be sure to post when that happens. Until then, hope everyone is doing well up north and elsewhere!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Rob!

    Glad to see you're having such an amazing time down in NC. Totally jealous to see you out on a boat -- I'm sure you know, we just got 12 more inches of snow. UGH! Please bring some spring when you come home. Can't wait to see you!

    Auntie, Uncle & the kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rob, it's Rob up here in Maine. Looks like you are having a blast. The whole bike n build trip sounds like a great time. Wonderful way to see the country. Enjoy NC!

    Be well,

    Robert Pecchia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rob...Gram said she sent a package today so, be on the lookout!! I love the pic of you guys on the Ferry....say hi to the Nissan for me...still going strong. I think the comment above on the 8th is from dad's cousin Robert in Maine. If you get back to him, tell him I said "hey"....love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rob! Just wanted to say thanks for the playing cards. I love them so much and play with them mostly every day. Can't wait to go to the park with you and look at birds. Love, Ed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rob!

    Thanks for the Piping Plovers pin. I have been wearing it almost every day. My friends at school like it and my friend Justine would like to know where you bought it! Can't wait to see you again.

    Love Ava

    PS I didn't even know you were studying owls!

    ReplyDelete